Thursday, December 18, 2008

Managing Remote Teams

Managing From A Distance
By Emmie Alexander
You've just learned from a colleague that Joe, one of your employees, is delaying progress on a very important project. On your way to lunch you pass Joe in the hallway and ask, "Could you stop by my office this afternoon? I'd like to talk with you about the project." In the cafeteria you spot Sandra, an extraordinarily talented new member of your team, and join her for a quick conversation in which you offer her a suggestion that will help her solve a difficult problem she's wrestling with.
All in a day's work, you say? But what if Joe and Sandra don't work in your building... or in your state? What if all three of you work in different time zones? How do you address Joe's lack of urgency? How do you support and coach Sandra? Managing a team you see every day is challenging enough. Managing from a distance significantly raises the ante. And the current economic crisis probably means even less travel by managers to meet with dispersed team members face to face.
Leaders of geographically dispersed teams tell us they worry over the following questions:
How can I really know what is going on, day to day? What if they're just telling me what they think I want to hear?
How can I identify potential problems early, figure out why performance is off track --and get them back on track --when I'm not there to see what they're doing?
How can I provide the kind of coaching that helps turn good employees into great employees?
How can I keep everyone focused on continuous improvement?
How can I effectively motivate and energize my team --from a distance?
How can I make sure my best performers feel connected to the company so they'll stay with us, when they see their manager (me) only once or twice a year?

(read more at December 8 Newsletter)

No comments: